General Submission Guidelines 2021-2022
The Hellebore Press is accepting general submissions for upcoming digital issues and features until December 1, 2020. Poetry, prose poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, hybrid, flash fiction, flash nonfiction, reviews, and visual art submissions are welcome.
There are no reading or submission fees.
Why? Literary and artistic resources should be afforded to all. Fees create more barriers for writers, poets, and artists who are already denied access to the industry. Our mission is to amplify the voices of exemplary creatives– not exploit our community.
Underrepresented communities are highly encouraged to submit. The Hellebore Press invites perspectives and narratives from: women, BIPOC, neurodivergent, disabled, non-binary, and LGBTQIA+ identities.
The deadline to submit a general submission is December 1, 2020. Submissions will reopen on March 1, 2021.
Response times range from 5-7 weeks. If you do not hear from us within that time frame, politely inquire through email. We greatly appreciate your patience.
Black Liberation, Issue 6 Winter/Spring 2021: Closed. Submit micro poetry, prose poetry, narrative poetry, flash fiction, flash CNF, or art that relates to to the following topics: The Global Black Diaspora, Culture, Identity, Family, Mental Health, Police Brutality, Discrimination, Perseverance, Joy, Adolescence, Rituals, Tradition, Kinship, & Survival
LGBTQIA+ Pride, Issue 7 Summer/Fall 2021: Temporarily Closed. Submit micro poetry, narrative poetry, lyrical poetry, prose poetry, flash fiction, flash CNF, or art that relates to the following topics: LGBTQIA+ Pride, Popular Culture, Online Relationships, Nostalgia, Chosen Family, Technology, Self Acceptance, Rebellion, Celebration, Joy, Mental Health, Forgiveness, Healing, & Authenticity
Youth Empowerment, Issue 8 Winter/Spring 2022: Temporarily Closed. Submit micro poetry, lyrical poetry, flash fiction, flash CNF, blogs, hybrid, or visual art that relates to the following topics: Adolescence, Young Adulthood, Joy, Self Expression, Relationships, Gender, Friendship, Family, Culture, School, Memory, Mental Health, Overcoming Trauma
To submit your work:
- Title the email with the Issue #, Genre, & Your Name. (For example: Issue 7, Poetry, Deidre Michaels)
- Include all work in a single attachment (PDF or DOC)
- Save the file of your doc as your last name and title of your submission (For example: Michaels_Two Poems)
- 3-5 poems, 1-3 stories/essays, or 3-5 pieces of artwork may be submitted for review
- Include a brief bio that discloses 2-3 notable publications, background information, interests, hobbies, and/or education
- Send all general submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthology & Scholarship Guidelines
The Hellebore Press is accepting creative nonfiction, art, and poetry for consideration in our first major anthology. Our first major anthology will be published in 2022.
Submissions are temporarily closed and will reopen Fall 2021 and will close during Summer 2021.
We are especially interested in work that highlights the following topics: Parenthood, Family, Loss, Grief, Identity, Culture, Immigration, Mental Health, & Race, Politics of the Body
Our first anthology will prioritize the voices and perspectives of BIPOC writers, poets, artists, & authors.
To submit your work:
- Send 1-3 essays, 1-5 poems, or 1-5 samples of artwork/photography to email@example.com
- Title the email submission, Anthology Submission, along with your name and genre (For example: Anthology Submission, Art, Olga Santos)
- Save the file of your doc as your last name and title of your submission (For example: Santos_Liberation)
- Include a cover letter that describes your background, influences, education, and/or other information about you that is beneficial to know
- Artists and photographers are also encouraged to include an artist statement that describes the work
The Hellebore Poetry Scholarship Award
The Hellebore Poetry Scholarship Award offers a monetary book and supply scholarship to one honoree who demonstrates excellence in the poetic arts.
Please note: The Hellebore Poetry Scholarship Award is currently closed and will reopen in 2021.
The winning manuscript will be published by The Hellebore Press. Finalists are also eligible for publication and will receive compensation if their title is selected.
To submit your work:
- Send an unpublished manuscript of 10-20 hybrid, prose, visual, free verse, lyrical, collage, or narrative poems in the form of an attachment (DOC or PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title the email with your name, manuscript title, and entry category (For example: Mia Torres, Unapologetic, Hellebore Poetry Scholarship Award )
- Save the file of your doc as your last name and title of your manuscript. (For example: Torres_Unapologetic)
- Include a brief bio and contact information within the body of the email.
- Summary of the body of work which includes theme, motifs, symbol explanations and/or influences/inspiration for the poems
If you are looking for application guidelines for HUES Foundation, click here.
Don’t forget to check out the FAQ for tips. There is some very helpful information there that applies to all of our submission periods.
Looking forward to receiving and reviewing your work!